I have been looking for a new video light and I recently purchased the Neewer 21″ Flapjack Light. Here are my first impressions.
First off, What is a Flapjack light?
A flapjack LED light is different than your typically LED light because the LEDs line the rim of the round frame and shine inwards. This defuses the light and provides a much softer light quality.
The Neewer 21″ Flapjack Light
My main video light is a Godox sl-60w with the Glow 20″ Parabolic softbox which is a fantastic light however it has some drawbacks. The main issue I have is it’s hard to use indoors in small rooms with the softbox installed. I found myself constantly bumping into the softbox which became very annoying. Also, even though it’s an LED light the Godox has a fan which while quitter that on previous models, still presents some small noise.
I went searching for a new solution and found the Neewer 21″ Flapjack LED light. This light is exactly what I was looking for. I ended up buying 2. One as a key light and one to use for fill. These are currently selling for $165.99 USD on Amazon. According to camelcamelcamel these have sold for as low as $130 which I think is a steal.
- Has a dimmable range of 1%-100%
- Much larger, softer light source than typical LED panel lights
- Adjustable White balance (3200k to 5600k)
- Wireless remote can control up to 3 lights with a single remote
- AC or Battery power (Battery not included)
- Great build quality. Frame is made of metal
- Not as expensive as the alternatives.
- Silent operation
- Comes with excellent softcase
- Even at 1% the light is quite bright.
- Not actually 21″, The frame measures 18″ across.
- No bowen mount for modifiers
- Power cable could be longer
I am very impressed by these lights. If you are a YouTuber, or taking indoor product photos you should check these out. The only downside is I wish I had found them sooner!
Buy at Amazon.com (Affiliate Link)
I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are our own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.